Monday, April 30, 2012

Jesse Medalia Strauss is filming in Prague and editing Obama 2012 videos

Meet Jesse Medalia Strauss (class of 2009), half of the two student team that produced  four short videos about learning disabilities posted at Churchill’s website (you will meet Julian, the other team member, later). Jesse is a junior at American University (AU) in Washington, DC spending this semester in Prague, Czech Republic, attending the film academy FAMU. A highlight of Jesse’s college experience so far has been editing Obama 2012 videos.
Jesse Medalia Strauss on location in Prague. Jesse is a junior at American University.
How did Churchill prepare you for College?
The most important way Churchill prepared me for college was to teach me how to self advocate. Through Churchill I learned exactly what I need to learn best and how to articulate that to professors. The relationship between teachers and students at Churchill is an essential part of the environment that Churchill fosters, which made me confident in talking to and befriending my favorite professors in college.

How did you select American?
When looking at colleges I knew I wanted a film program in an urban environment. I was really torn between American and Emerson. I decided that AU was the best fit because, although their film program was not quite as renowned, it was the perfect school to combine a love of film and politics. Previous Churchill students have attended American and it has a great LD support system.

What accommodations and support do you receive?
I have time and a half on tests and a guaranteed computer if the tests are short answer or essay based. I also can use my laptop in class to take notes even if the professor has a no laptop policy. I had a tutor for my statistics class but other than that my accommodations have been enough to get me through all my classes.

What have been the highlights so far at college?
I have found a great group of friends that get along wonderfully with my Churchill friends. I have become close with a few of my professors. Study abroad has been an amazing opportunity and has taught me so much about the world and film-making. I was elected as Communications Director of AU Democrats and have interned for the PR company that creates Obama's political ads (GMMB) where I got to edit a few for the 2012 campaign.

What made you and Julian decide to do the Churchill videos?
Churchill has done so much for us and we really wanted to do something in return. Despite the wonderful opportunity Churchill is, you still have to carry the label of being learning disabled that comes with it. That label can make people uncomfortable and many Churchill students have a hard time explaining what Churchill is to their friends outside Churchill. Parents of perspective students may also feel uncomfortable by the LD label. The videos serve as a way of explaining what Churchill is and how this label is not necessarily negative and can actually result in being a positive force in your life.

Future career plans?
Hopefully have a job making videos for a nonprofit, shooting independent films and documentaries or working somewhere in political communications.

Fondest Churchill memory?
I have two really fond memories. The first is from our Yosemite National Park trip. One night we had the choice to sleep in a cozy cabin or under a tarp in six feet of snow. Two of my friends and I opted for the snow. I got perhaps an hour of sleep in my sleeping bag designed for summer weather. An icy drip  from the trees above landed on my face - my area of the tarp was not set up properly. After what seemed like a lifetime morning came and the three of us became the first in Churchill history to last the entire night.
My second memory was being in charge of directing the class of '09 Senior Video. I decided to create a three act 20 minute documentary profiling our grade. It was complete with reenactments, interviews and archival footage. For two months the senior video engulfed my entire life and was probably the hardest project I ever undertook until filming at FAMU. But when it was played at graduation it brought parents to tears and that made it all worth it. The senior video Part I: http://vimeo.com/6612584 Part II: http://vimeo.com/6612814

Advice to current Churchill students?
Never be afraid to advocate for yourself, take advantage of every opportunity that is presented to you and practice good time management. Everything else will fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment